The solution to the problem of “toxic clothes” is the production of ecological ones which are knitted by use of biological cotton that is a product of controlled procedures of cotton cultivation.
Biological clothes protect people and the environment. They are made of pure raw materials that are rather beneficial to the skin. Biological cotton is cultivated under traditional processes without the use of pesticides.It is collected manually and it is whitened by use of salt or other natural ingredients without the use of chemical substances. These fabrics allow your skin to breathe; they are pleasant to the touch, rather cool during the summer and warm during the winter.
At the same time, the whole production procedure is deeply ecological since the cultivation and processing of raw materials do not pollute the ground and water table with chemicals (e.g. heavy metals, pesticides). Besides that, during the combustion and degradation of these fabrics there are no toxic substances emitted in the air (they are biodegradable fabrics). This boosts the economy of developing countries without putting in danger the lives of people who cultivate them. (According to the World Health Organisation, every year almost 2000 people work in cotton crops).
Their typical characteristics are the following:
- They make skin breath easier.
- They do not cause itching and allergies.
- They offer protection from fungi and radiation.
- They adjust the temperature while keeping the human body warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
- They absorb sweat.
- From an aesthetic point of view they are softer, as they have not been chlorinated.
- They contribute to the reduction of water consumption as they are not subject to chlorination. This means that they do not waste hundreds of cubic meters of water in order to get rinsed.
- They do not waste natural resources, which is what actually happens in the case of conventional clothes that are made of plastic raw materials, in fact polyester.
- Their dyeing and whitening processes are conducted by use of ecological dyes which do not contain heavy metals, formaldehyde and azocolourants, whereas in the pre-whitening process no chlorine is used.
- In the production process of zippers, buttons and other accessories, recyclable materials are used, including aluminium, wood, shells but not cadmium or nickel.
- The materials used for the production of ecological clothes are cotton, bamboo, hemp, flax and wool.
- Their production is conducted according to social criteria with costs which are based on the collective agreements of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security.
Our company is certified by the Swiss group IMO and we follow the relevant production procedures according to the G.O.T.S standards.